- About MoPA
- Honourable Prime Minister
- Honourable Minister of State
- Top Management
- Vision and Mission
- List of Subordinate Offices
- Training and Travel
- Acts/Rules/Circulars (Download)
Allocation of Business of the Ministry of Public Administration (MOPA) as per the Rules of Business, 1996 the responsibilities are the following:
1. Formulation of policy on regulation of civil services and determination of their terms and conditions (policy on method of recruitment, age limit, qualification, reservation of posts for certain areas and sex, medical fitness, examinations, appointment, posting, transfer, deputation, leave, travel, seniority, promotion, selection, suppression, retirement, superannuation, re-employment, appointment on contract, conditions of pensions, determination of status etc).
2. Enhancing capacity of the Bangladesh Civil Service to cope with and adapt to an ever-changing environment.
3. Developing and implementing fair, just and transparent Human Resource Management and Development.
4. Securing to all Government servants the rights and privileges conferred on them by or under the Constitution, Law, Rule, Regulation, Statutory Orders in force.
5. Interpretation of rules, regulations and orders on service conditions relating to matters allocated to this Ministry.
6. Policy regarding employment of non-nationals in the service of the Republic and regulation of employment of foreigners in jobs in Bangladesh enterprises.
7. Honorary appointment of persons to Civil posts.
8. Policy regarding classification of services and posts and determining their status.
9. Determination of status of officers including status when posted in Bangladesh Missions abroad other than officers of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, grant of ex-officio Secretariat status to non-Secretariat posts.
10. All matters regarding absorption/employment of surplus Government servants.
11. All matters relating to formulation of policies, composition of Cadre Services and advising other Ministries & Divisions on proper management of Cadre Services under their control.
12. Policy regarding recruitment of staff in the Ministry/Division and all matters relating thereto including their duties and responsibilities.
13. First appointment to any posts belonging to any regularly constituted Cadre Service.
14. (a) Administration of B. C. S. (Administration) Cadre.
(b) First appointment and administration of all other officers and staff of this Ministry.
(c) Grant of Magisterial Power to other officer.
15. Appointment and transfer of Officers in Upazilas, Zilas and Divisions following existing policies and orders.
16. All matters relating to Recruitment Rules for all Services and Posts under the Republic.
17. Nomination of Government servants to work as experts/consultants in projects and jobs at home and abroad.
18. Nomination of Government servants in jobs in UN system and into its various agencies as national representative.
19. Administrative Research, Management and Reforms for better and economic execution of Government business.
20. Review and revision of Organogram and Equipment of the public offices.
21. Review of organization, functions, method and procedures of Ministries, Divisions, Attached Departments and subordinate Offices.
22. Simplifications of Government Forms.
23. All matter relating to the Secretariat Instructions.
24. Inspection and review of staff position in Ministries, Divisions, Attached Departments and subordinate offices for optimum utilization of manpower.
25. Appointment of Chairman and Managing Director who work as members of the Board of Directors or Governors of Managing Boards by whatever name they are called, of the Corporations, Boards, Authorities, Statutory Bodies etc. except Universities, Higher and Secondary Education Boards, Banks and Financing Institutions.
26. Fixation of terms and conditions of all deputationists.
27. Deputation of all officers under administrative control of this Ministry.
28. Appointment of all Officers in the Secretariat at National Pay Scale (NPS) grade 1 to 9 and their interministerial transfer.
29. Appointment and Transfer of Private Secretary and Assistant Private Secretary to Members of the Cabinet, other Ministers and Advisors.
30. All matters relating to Attached Departments & Subordinate Offices and Advisory Bodies of this Ministry, viz : (1) BPATC, (2) BCS (Admn.) Academy, (3) Department of Printing and Publications, (4) Government Employees Welfare Directorate, (5) Directorate of Government Transport, (6) Bangladesh Institute of Administration and Management (BIAM).
31. All matters relating to (1) Divisional Commissioner’s Office (2) Deputy Commissioner’s Office and Upazila Nirbahi Officer’s Office in consultation with Cabinet Division.
32. Ensuring high quality pro-people/citizen centric services delivered by Attached Departments & Subordinate Offices of this Ministry.
33. Policy regarding Discipline, Procedure & Enquiry, Appeal & Review and all references thereto.
34. Policy regarding Performance Appraisal, its countersignature, preservation, representation on adverse comments, its use and all references thereto.
35. Policy regarding conduct of the public servants and all references thereto.
36. Policy regarding use & sale of stationery items and supply to Ministries, Divisions and Attached Departments & Subordinate Offices.
37. Policy on determination of office-hours and declaration of public holidays.
38. All matters relating to the Welfare of Government Servants; Administration & Management of welfare services such as Community Centers, Staff-bus facility etc.
39. All matters relating to Administration and Management of Government and Autonomous Bodies, Benevolent & Group Insurance Funds and Welfare Grant.
40. Policy regarding the official and residential telephone, cell phone, internet, fax etc entitlement and matters related thereto regarding Government, Autonomous and Semi-Autonomous Bodies & Corporations.
41. Policy regarding liveries and matters related thereto.
42. Policy regarding use, repair and disposal of Government Transport.
43. Sanction of pension and other retirement benefits to the officers and staff under the administrative control of this Ministry.
44. Formulation of Departmental Examination Rules.
45. Preparation and maintenance of History of Service Records, Seniority List and List of up-to-date posting of Officers (Appointment & Deputation List).
46 Policy on composition and functions of Departmental Promotion Committees and selection Boards.
47. Career Planning of Government servants and matters related thereto.
48. All matters relating to representation of the Government servants.
49. All matters relating to Service Associations.
50. Reimbursement of legal expenses incurred by Government servants.
51. Compilation of data/statistics relating to Government servants for use by the Government for Career planning.
52. Maintenance of Secretarial Record Room and Library.
53. Use of Bengali language in official work.
54. Budget of Finance Division, Ministry of Finance and its control.
55. Policy on Training of Government servants in Bangladesh and abroad.
56. Liaison with International Organizations and matters relating to Treaties and Agreements with other countries and World Bodies relating to subjects allotted to this Ministry.
57. Collection of all information and data regarding subjects allocated to this Ministry.
58. All laws on subjects allotted to this Ministry.
59. Fees in respect of any of the subjects allotted to this Ministry except fees taken in Courts.
60. Management of Data base of all officers of BCS Admin Cadre and officers of other Cadres from NPS grade 5 to above for Career Planning.”
Matters relating to Bangladesh Public Service Commission Secretariat:
1. Rendering assistance to the Bangladesh Public Service Commission in discharging its functions under the Constitution and other laws.
2. Regulation and control of officers and staff of the Bangladesh Public Service Commission Secretariat and its zonal or regional Public Administrations.
3. All laws on subjects allotted to this Secretariat.
4. Inquiries and statistics on any of the subjects allotted to this Secretariat.
5. Fees in respect of any of the subjects allotted to this Secretariat except fees taken in courts.
Cases to be referred to MOPA for consultations as per Rules of Business
Rule 12: Consultation with Ministry of Public Administration. - No Ministry shall issue or authorize any orders, other than orders, in pursuance of any general or special delegation made by the Ministry of Public Administration, which involves: -
(i) Reorganization of a Ministry/Division or an Attached Department involving creation or abolition of any post or a change in the status of an Attached Department;
(ii) Reorganization of a working unit in a Ministry/Division otherwise than as a section;
(iii) Creation and reorganization of an Attached Department;
(iv) Initial appointment to all posts of NPS-IX and above in the Ministries/Divisions which are outside the purview of the Bangladesh Public Service Commission;
(v) a change in the terms and conditions of service of officers of all services other than defence and of ministerial servants in the Ministries/Divisions and Attached Departments subject to modification as may be made by the Government in the structure of services from time to time;
(vi) Posting of Non-Secretariat officers in the Ministries/Divisions or Attached Departments
(vii) Expenditure proposals relating to the Ministry of Finance;
(viii) The interpretation of rules and orders made by the Ministry of Public Administration;
(ix) Transfer of personnel of Development Project to Revenue setup after the project is completed;
Rules for recruitment to any post or service including the question of removing a post or service from the purview of the Bangladesh Public Service Commission for the purpose of recruitment.
SCHEDULE-II of Rules Of Business
List of officers authorized to make and execute orders and other instruments in the name of the President
(1) Secretary, Additional Secretary, Joint Secretary, Deputy Secretary, Senior Assistant Secretary, Assistant Secretary to the Government of the People's Republic of Bangladesh or an officer who is granted one of these ranks ex-officio, Director-General, Director, Prime Minister's Office/Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Director-General/Director/Deputy Director/Assistant Director/ Research Officer, IMED, Chief, Joint Chief, Deputy Chief, Assistant Chief, Research Office of the Planning Commission or Ministry/Division.
(2) In respect of the matters within their jurisdiction:
(a) Director-General or Additional Director-General, Bangladesh Post Office Department and Chairman or Member or Chief Engineer, Bangladesh Telegraph and Telephone Board.
(b) Other Officers of Agencies/Departments of the Government as may be notified by the Government from time to time.
(3) Ministry Secretary to the President or Deputy Secretary or Senior Assistant Secretary or Assistant Secretary in the President's Office.
(4) Any other officer authorized as such by the respective Ministry after due consultation with the Cabinet Division.
SCHEDULE-IV of Rules Of Business
List of cases to be submitted to the Prime Minister and the President
1. Appointment and resignation of Chairman and Members of the Bangladesh Public Service Commission. 138(1), 139(3)
2. Conditions of services of Chairman and Members of Bangladesh Public Service Commission until Parliament by law makes provision for the same. 138(2)
3. Removal of Chairman and Members of the Bangladesh Public Service Commission. 139(2) & 96(2)
4. Proposals not to accept any recommendation of the Bangladesh Public Service Commission on matters in respect of which the commission was consulted as required under Article 140(2) of the Constitution.
5. Subject to provisions of any law/regulation reference to the Bangladesh Public Service Commission for advice on any matter on which the commission is required to be consulted under Article 140(2).
6. Annual report and memorandum on the performance and functions of the Bangladesh Public Service Commission. 141
7. First appointment to any post belonging to any regularly constituted cadre service.
8. First appointment to any service or post which under the recruitment rules are required to be submitted for approval of the President.
9. Cased of dismissal, removal, compulsory retirement, reduction in rank of officers of whom the President is the appointing authority.
10. Making of rules regulating appointments and conditions of service of persons in the service of the Republic until such appointments are regulated by law of the Parliament. 133
11. To dispense with opportunity of showing case to persons holding civil posts in the service of the Republic against dismissal, removal or reduction of the rank in the interest of the security of the State. 135(2)(iii)
SCHEDULE-V of Rules Of Business
List of cases to be submitted to the Prime Minister
1. Appointment resignation and removal of Chairmen and Members of any Non-statutory Commissions.
2. Framing of rules on pay, allowances, privileges of members of Non-statutory Commissions.
3. Nomination of Bangladesh citizens to important posts on executive and other organs of international bodies such as the International monetary Fund, the World Bank, etc.
4. Secretariat appointments of the ranks of Deputy Secretary to Secretary.
5. Transfer and posting of and above the rank of Joint Secretary in the Secretariat.
6. Appointments of Chairman and Members of the Land Appeal Board and Land Reforms Board.
7. Appointment to the post of Chairman/Managing Director of Statutory Bodies, other than the Chairman/Managing Director of Financial Institution and Chairmen of Education Boards.
8. Appointment, transfer and posting of Divisional Commissioners, Addl. Commissioners and Deputy Commissioners.